Experiments with Gigabit+ TCP/IP
Key Trapeze features are useful for high-bandwidth communication using stream protocols (TCP).
- raw bandwidth (Myrinet and 64-bit PCI)
- low per-packet costs on NIC (streamlined firmware)
- low host overhead, e.g., interrupt suppression
- alignment-preserving reception for zero-copy features
- large MTUs with scatter/gather DMA
- a high-quality driver
Idea: bring together known host-side optimizations above and below the TCP/IP stack, and letís see how fast it is.