Workshop Schedule July 8-12, July 15-19, 2013
The two-week Beginner Alice workshop
was held from (breakfast at 8:30am), 9am-4pm in LSRC D106 and includes
breakfast, lunch and snacks. There is no charge for the workshop.
Breakfast and lunch include demos and discussions.
Please see the logistics page for directions, parking passes, and
housing at the Brookwood Inn.
Pictures from the workshop
Many of these tutorials are listed on the main tutorial
Alice worlds not linked in are likely already on the main tutorial page or
on the main examples page.
Monday, July 8, 2013 - Day 1
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - Day 2
Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - Day 3
Thursday, July 11, 2013 - Day 4
Breakfast - showed some princess/dragon worlds
How tall are you Tutorial - if/else, using functions
- Want to order an Alice shirt from CMU?
Headshots in Alice Tutorial - putting a 2D picture of a head on a 3D body.
- Sharing Alice tutorial - making video of Alice world (does not work
on a Mac) and
printing/posting Alice Code.
- Other ways to screen capture to make videos
- Alice Lunch Demos
Kangaroo visit friends tutorial - parameters, if/else
- Texture Map tutorial - adding textures
Friday July 12, 2013 - Day 5
- Research study instructor feedback
- Shorter of Two objects and changing color tutorial - we wrote four
- Lunchtime Demos - Teddy showed
- Harry Potter World
- Fish world in Alice 3
- list tutorial - Elizabeth presented
Teacher Donna Hoover presenting
- Bella did Camera tutorial on how to setup several tripods around a
person and when the person moves, the camera views move with the
person. She also showed how to do a scene change.
- Wanda Dann and Steve Cooper visiting today. Also Kathy Menchaca will
be here just a short time.
- Exercise: Levitate (lists, functions)
- Wanda Dann presented about Alice 2 and Alice 3
- Watchtower - educate
kids about the dangers of the internet
- she showed how to select spanish on the preferences menu to convert
Alice into Spanish
- She showed the new Garfield characters
- Wanda email: wpdann AT cs.cmu.edu
- Computing in The Core
- Lunch Time Demos - Steve Cooper
- Tutorial - Bunny Eat Broccoli: Repetition - Simple loops and
- Steve Cooper presented
- If at the Brookwood, turn in parking passes at the front desk before
Monday, July 15, 2013 - Day 6
- Kathy Menchaca visiting today
- Teachers work on Lesson Plans - 9am-11am
Our goal is to develop
three lesson plans and present them to the other teachers this week.
- A Lesson Plan consists of two items:
Sample lesson plan templates. If you already have a lesson plan
template that you use, then definitely use that. If you don't here are
lesson plan templates that teachers last year suggested as possible
Simple Quiz tutorial
Richard Lucic presented VCL at 11am
- Build an Alice world - It might be a world that students will
build, or an example of a world students might build. It might be a starter
would that students would start with and then continue to build. In that
case you might want to turn in two worlds, one that the students start with
and one that is an example of what a student might do with the world.
- Write up a lesson plan that explains what students will do, map to
curriculum standards, etc.
Duke photographer here today
Scene Change Tutorial
Work on lesson plans in the afternoon
Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - Day 7
- Bella showed punnit squares Alice World
- Other demos were:
book report - tutorial to show how to build a book report for
Charlotte's web - you click on the green button to transition between
bike plot - bicycle rider rides along and you click four times to
record the time and distance. Then you plot these on a 2D graph.
bar chart - catch fish and reproduce five times, then generate bar chart to show
how many fish left after each round.
- calculator - students can finish the calculator functions
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 - Day 8
- Kathy Menchaca visiting today
- Lights Camera Action! Part 3: BDE Events tutorial
- Fancier Chicken Tutorial
- Here is Rodger's code. She added an additional method called
jumpLikeCrazy that shows an example of using a variable.
- 1-3pm Dive Tour - step into
the virtual reality cave... like the holodeck in StarTrek.
- work on lesson plans in the afternoon
Thursday, July 18, 2013 - Day 9
- Daniel demoed his soccer world
- Repetition tutorial
- Teacher Chari Distler presenting
- Slides (without video)
Slides (with Video) (.pptx)
Student alice world on using an IPAD
- She has the sky color so you can get it back, it is
H=216.28 S=63.55 B=79.61 or instead you can give the RGB values: R=74 G=125 B=203. You click on the color of
the atmosphere color in properties, select "Other", then click on the RGB
tab and type in the numbers above for the RGB. You should get the original
sky color back.
- To make short sound clips use
Audacity or Garageband.
- For fade to black, she puts a large object in, makes it invisible by
changing the opacity to 0%. Sometimes it is better to instesd use
or you cannot click on it.
- To lighten a billboard picture, go to seldom used properties for the
billboard, change emissive color to light gray. The picture should be
- CSTA - Computer Science Teachers
Association - look for a chapter near you.
- CS Unplugged - active activities
about computing that don't use a computer
- Lunch Demos
- Work on lesson plans in the afternoon.
Friday, July 19, 2013 - Day 10
- Research study - Instructor Feedback
- Morning - worked on lesson plans
- Lunch Demos
- Afternoon - Teachers presented lesson plans
- Research Study
- Teacher presentations of lesson plans
- Links to Items mentioned during presentations
Scratch - 2D drag-n-drop programming
rcampus.com - Byrd showed rubrics for Alice Programming. He mentioned
to search for Alice Programming and you will find other rubrics.
- snipmp3.com - for converting videos to
- cut-mp3.com - for trimming mp3 files (free)
- audacity - free
software for recording and editing songs
- freeplaymusic.com n
- prezi.com - presentation software -
alternative to powerpoint
- Alice Cookies -
click on "Baked items for computer science"
Rodger's Alice Course at Duke - see the "cal" tab to see the daily
Alice coding we do in class.
- Join the
alice listserv - it is your friend!
- Graduation - certificates - souvenirs
Thanks for coming to the workshop!