Workshop Schedule July 7-11, July 14-18, 2014
The two-week Beginner Alice workshop
will be held from 8:30am-4pm (Mon-Thur), 8:30am-3pm (Fri) in LSRC D106 and includes
breakfast, lunch and snacks. There is no charge for the workshop.
Breakfast and lunch include demos and discussions.
Please see the logistics page for directions, parking passes, and
housing at the Brookwood Inn.
Pictures and News Article from the 2014 workshop
Many of these tutorials are listed on the main tutorial
Alice worlds not linked in are likely already on the main tutorial page or
on the main examples page.
Monday, July 7, 2014 - Day 1
Tuesday, July 8, 2014 - Day 2
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 - Day 3
Thursday, July 10, 2014 - Day 4
Friday July 11, 2014 - Day 5
- Breakfast and princessKnight demos
- Tutorial on Shorter of Two (write functions, random numbers, string
- Sharing Alice tutorial
- Alice Demo
Adventure Game example - there is a tutorial on how to build this world on the tutorial page.
Boat Race - there is a tutorial on how to build this world on the
- Eragon - Includes
four tasks, interactive, score, timer
bike plot - bicycle rider rides along and you click four times to
record the time and distance. Then you plot these on a 2D graph.
ESL world - Narrate a story - first put pictures in order, then type a
phrase for each picture, then play story.
- Lists tutorial
- Scene change tutorial
- Want to order an Alice shirt from CMU?
- Repetition Tutorial - Bunny eat Broccoli
- Making Folders Tutorial - as an extra showed how to right click on
the object tree and create a group (folder), then move objects into the
folder to help organize the object tree objects into folders.
- Lunch: Guest Steve Cooper
- Alice Demos
- OctopusRide.a2w- Octopus ride at the fair
bar chart - catch fish and reproduce five times, then generate bar chart to show
how many fish left after each round.
- Gravity Example
- Creating a Fancier Chicken tutorial (inheritance)
Monday, July 14, 2014 - Day 6
- 9am Guest Richard Lucic - VCL
- RDP Lite - an app to run VCL (and thus run Alice on the VCL and display to your phone)
- Guest Kathy Menchaca is here today.
- BDE Tutorial
- Simple Quiz Tutorial
- Ellen demoed some of her worlds at lunch
- Alice Demos at Lunch
- Teachers work on Lesson Plans - afternoon
Our goal is to develop
three lesson plans and present them to the other teachers this week.
- A Lesson Plan consists of two items:
Sample lesson plan templates. If you already have a lesson plan
template that you use, then definitely use that. If you don't here are
lesson plan templates that teachers last year suggested as possible
Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - Day 7
- Build an Alice world - It might be a world that students will
build, or an example of a world students might build. It might be a starter
would that students would start with and then continue to build. In that
case you might want to turn in two worlds, one that the students start with
and one that is an example of what a student might do with the world.
- Write up a lesson plan that explains what students will do, map to
curriculum standards, etc.
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - Day 8
- Alice Demos at Lunch
- Guest Kathy Menchaca
Duke Dive Visit 1-3pm
Thursday, July 17, 2014 - Day 9
- Alice Demos at Breakfast and later
- Teacher Chari Distler visit
Scratch - 2D drag-n-drop programming
CS Unplugged - CS activities that do not use a computer - your students
act out algorithms.
Lesson plan presentations
Friday, July 18, 2014 - Day 10
Biden on Code.org
- Computing in the Core
- advocacy group for computing in K-12
- Other ways to screen capture to make videos
- Software for Sound or video files
- Alice Cookies -
click on "Baked items for computer science"
Rodger's Alice Course at Duke - see the "cal" tab to see the daily
Alice coding we do in class.
- Join the
alice listserv - it is your friend!
- TIP: For the "Ask user for input" question, if you have a long
question and you want it to appear on several lines, then do the
following. Formatting for the ask user for a number question = is achieved
by typing the question in notepad or by using the text box for 3d text,
copy and pasting into the string box. (it uses the line formatting that is
in Notepad). (THIS MAY NOT WORK)
- Hour of code classroom videos
- Alice Demos at Lunch
- Animation Demos at Breakfast
- videos by Gina Grannis -
to show different types of animation in her
classroom to motivate animation with Alice
- Research Study
- Teacher Presentations
- More presentations at lunch and after lunch
- SIGCSE - special interest group in
computer science education
Alice Team 2014 - Thanks for coming!