Tutorial: Making a billboard
By Deborah Nelson
Duke University, July 14, 2008
Under the direction of Professor Susan Rodger
As you follow the instructions below, click on an image to enlarge it.
Then use the'go back one page' arrow in your web browser to come back to
Loading the World
Open a new world, with the template of your choosing.
Save it in a directory that you can find again, and then start Alice and open the
world. NOTE: You cannot double-click the file to open it; Windows will not know what to
use, and even if you select Alice from a list of programs, the loading will fail.
After you have opened the file, and set up your world, go into the "Layout" mode by clicking
on the green button 'Add Objects' (toward the middle of screen)
Click 'more controls.' Click 'drop a dummy at the camera.' Rename the dummy
'originalPosition.' To leave the layout mode, click 'done'
This is something you should always do when you make a world in case you need to return the
camera to this view later. If you don't understand dummys,look at the camera control tutorial
Use of a Billboard
- Billboards can be used to add a sign with customized text to your world
- They can be made in
- Open up a paint document
- Click on the A to add text
- Type the following into your text box:
- Press the Up arrow to move forward
- Press the space bar to jump
- Press i to show the instructions
Paint: Increasing the size
- Your text might be really small.
- To increase the size:
- Click on the select
- Highlight your text, and drag the corner to enlarge your text
Save Paint & Open Alice
- Now, save your document as type .bmp
- In your Alice world, click on the file menu and select Make Billboard
Import paint billboard
- Find your paint document in the directory that you saved it in
- Click import
Reposition the billboard
- Now, the billboard has appeared in the world:
- Click on the Add Objects button
- Enlarge the billboard with the resize button
- Use the left/right to make the billboard face the camera
- And use the mouse to bring it forward
Create a world method
- Letís write a method to make the instructions either visible or invisible:
- Click on the world in the object tree
- Select the method tab
- Click create new method
- Name it instr
- Click on if/else and drag it into your method
- In the drop down menu, select true
- Click on your billboard in the object tree
- Click on the properties tab
- Drag isShowing
into world.instr on
top of true
- Then, drag isShowing into the method again, on top of the first Do Nothing.
In the drop down menu, select false.
- Drag isShowing into the method again, on top of the Do Nothing that is underneath else.
In the drop down menu, select true.
- See the screenshot on the next slide for an illustration of what your method should look
- Complete instr method:
Create new event
- Click on the create new
- Select when a key is
- Click on any key.
Select letters, and select i
- Click on Nothing and select instr
- Play your world. Press i to make the billboard disappear and reappear
- You can also use Power Point to make a billboard
- Open up a Power Point document
- Make one slide and type the text until your slide looks like this
- Iíve added a border around the text
Saving the power point
- When you save the Power Point, select the file type: .JPG
- Click save (in a directory you can find again)
- When this window pops up,
- Click on current slide only
- In order to import a file as a billboard, it must have an image file extension
Make Paint billboard invisible
- Click on your paint billboard in the object tree.
- Click on the properties tab and set isShowing to false.
Import power point billboard
- Now in your Alice world, go to the file menu and select Make Billboard
- Find your power point slide and import it into your world
- Move and resize your billboard until it looks like this:
Write a method
- In World details, create a new method
- Name it question
- Drag in the if statement and the isShowing instructions until your method looks like this:
Create a new event to alternate between billboards
Now, create a new event, when a key is typed
- Select the letter q; then select question
- Your event should look like this
- Now, play your world. Press i and q to alternate between the two billboards
- You can make a billboard to give the user instructions, ask multiple choice questions, etc
- Use either paint or power point to make the billboards
- It is helpful to use an event to give the user the choice of making billboards appear or disappear
- But, you can also just set isShowing to true or false in your method at the appropriate time